PADI Skin Diver Description
Who should take this course?
Skin diving is snorkeling while making breath-hold dives to observe aquatic life, up close and personal. It’s a great way to explore the underwater world when you’re not able to scuba dive or if scuba diving just isn’t your thing. The PADI Skin Diver course teaches you how to enjoy watching life below the surface and comfortably venture underwater for short visits, whether you dive in a local freshwater lake or the big blue ocean, at home or on holiday at a dive destination.
To enroll in a PADI Skin Diver course, you must be at least 8 years old. You need adequate swimming skills and comfort in the water. No prior experience is required.
What will you learn?
The PADI Skin Diver course teaches you about:
- How to choose, adjust and use skin diving equipment
- Basic safety guidelines for being in and around the water
- Snorkeling and skin diving techniques including checking buoyancy, surface swimming, clearing water from your snorkel and performing effortless surface dives
- Going on an optional skin dive at a local dive site
How can you start learning now?
Enroll in a course at Underwater Vision, and get started earning your PADI Skin Diver certification. Ask your instructor about the PADI Discover the Underwater World video and companion piece – The Snorkeler’s Field Guide. Although not required for the course, the video has great tips that will come in handy when you hit the water and the field guide covers different underwater environments along with common aquatic life.
What scuba gear will you use?
In the PADI Skin Diver course, you learn to use basic scuba gear, including a mask, snorkel, fins, regulator, buoyancy control device and a tank. The equipment you wear varies, depending upon whether you’re diving in tropical, temperate or cold water.
Check with Underwater Vision about the gear you’ll use during this course and get advice about everything you need from your PADI Instructor.
Breathing underwater or the first time is something you’ll never forget, so don’t wait.
- Try scuba diving with the PADI Discover Scuba Diving program
- Enroll in a PADI Scuba Diver course at Underwater Vision
- Sign up for eLearning for Open Water Diver and start learning right away
- Download a PADI Medical Statement and Questionnaire (pdf)
- Browse the certified scuba diver FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Check out other courses in the PADI Course Catalog