PADI Discover Scuba Diving Description
Take the plunge with the PADI Discover Scuba Diving Experience at Underwater Vision
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to breathe underwater? If you want to find out during your stay in Utila but aren’t quite ready to dive headlong into a certification course, the PADI Discover Scuba Diving Experience will let you try scuba to see if you like it. We offer versions of this program which can include one or two assisted shallow open water dives from one of our boats
During the PADI Discover Scuba Diving Experience you’ll learn how to use scuba diving equipment in shallow water and get a quick and easy assisted introduction to what it takes to explore the underwater world that surrounds Utila.
Realizing you are able to breathe underwater is a magical and life-changing experience. The sensations are completely different to any other experience and after the first few moments of adjustment, beginner scuba divers realize how simple and fun scuba diving is! The biggest challenge instructors have with the PADI Discover Scuba Diving Experience is not having to coax participants into the water, but coaxing them out when the program is over. It’s all fun and will likely lead to the desire to continue your scuba dive training!
You are eligible for credit if your PADI Discover Scuba Diving program includes an actual scuba dive in open water. If so, your experience may count toward PADI Scuba Diver or PADI Open Water Diver certification, preparing you in advance for the PADI training courses in your future.
In order to enroll in the PADI Discover Scuba Diving Experience you must be at least ten years of age.
What will you learn?
With the assistance and direct supervision of a PADI Professional, you will become acquainted with the basic skills you need to try out scuba diving for the very first time!
- Experience wearing and moving around in scuba equipment and what the function of each piece of equipment is
- Experience the sensation of breathing underwater and become acquainted with it
- Become acquainted with some of the safety rules and basic scuba diving skills that are a part of the PADI certification courses -the next step in your scuba diving training!
How can you start learning now?
Contact Underwater Vision to sign up for a Discover Scuba Diving program and get a Discover Scuba Diving Participant Guide. Your Participant Guide explains the experience and lets you pre-study the safety rules and skill techniques your dive professional will review with you. You’ll also learn about opportunities to become part of the scuba community after you complete your underwater experience.
What scuba gear will you use?
Underwater Vision will provide you with all of the scuba diving gear you will require for the PADI Discover Scuba Diving experience. The basic scuba gear you will use includes:
- a mask so you can see underwater
- a snorkel to make breathing on the surface a breeze
- fins to move through the water efficiently and easily
- a buoyancy compensating jacket (BCD), which will hold your scuba tank and help you to float effortlessly at the surface
- a scuba regulator that will attach from your tank, to your BCD with which you will breathe air from
- a depth guage and air supply gauge, which both attach to your tank and BCD
- You may also wear a short-sleeved wet suit (all that's required on Utila), and a weight belt which your instructor will size and weigh correctly for you!
- If you have your own mask, snorkel and fins that you use for snorkeling that you would prefer to use for the PADI Open Water Course, please show your instructor before hand to ensure your equipment is appropriate to use while scuba diving!
In order to enroll in the PADI Discover Scuba Diving Experience you must be at least ten years of age. Breathing underwater for the first time is thrilling, so don’t wait.
After completing a PADI Discover Scuba Diving Experience in Utila and realizing how much you love the sensations of scuba diving, you will want to cointinue your dive training and enroll in the